Thursday, August 21, 2008

Together Forever.

As you know I've been reading Breaking Dawn, the last of the Stephanie Myers vampire saga. Well I finished it yesterday and then yesterday afternoon Mahlon and I went to the Temple. On the way I was worried that while I was in the temple I would be distracted by my thoughts about the book while in the temple, especially since we were talking about it on the way.Anywhoo - those of you who have read the books know that the mortal, Bella, is in love with an immortal vampire, Edward, and wants to become a vampire herself so that they may be together forever. When we got to the temple they asked us to dosealings, which seems to happen a lot whenever Mahlon and I try to do a session together, but we're always happy to help. I love doing sealings, I imagine it's the best thing you can do for someone else, to give them the opportunity to be with their loved ones forever. So while thinking on that, it made me think of the Breaking Dawn book but not in the distracting way that I thought it would. It suddenlyoccurred to me that in Fiction one must sacrifice everything including their life, to be with the one that they love forever, while I knew, without a doubt that I had that great blessing, of being with my husband and daughter,parents, and all my family forever without sacrificing anything. As silly as it sounds, my testimony of theimportance of temple marriage and of sealing families was increased as I compared my life to the fictional story of Bellas. I am so grateful that my "together forever" is not just a fictional wish but is a true principle of which I know of a certainty.

4 comments:

Heather (wife, mom) said...

i haven't read the book yet- but i totally understand what you mean! we are very blessed with the gospel and the knowledge that we have.

The Wilker Family said...

I just started reading the last book and can't wait to get going on it. I also understand what you mean, it just reminds us of the great blessings and opportunities we have without all of the sacrifice. It's so great when we can get little reminders of that.

Blain&Deedra said...

I haven't gotten that one yet. I can't wait till Vandee finishes then it's my turn. I actually haven't done any sealings at the temple and I really want to. Soon maybe!

Vandee said...

Great comparison! I love doing sealings but in Snowflake they are running out of names.

Glad you liked the book! It was great.